tDesk released!

Last year I demonstrated how Windows XP could be (ab)used with multi-touch interaction.

A few weeks ago I made some adjustments to make it compatible with the latest touchlib and this is the result:

tDesk v2 allows the user to move and resize multiple windows at the same time by using multi-touch gestures. Because Windows XP/Vista was not designed for multi-touch there are some issues with this type of input. In multi-touch mode it is not possible to do a mouse click, therefor I added an option to switch between multi-touch and mouse simulation mode.

Please keep in mind that when the mouse simulation mode is activated only single touch input is allowed. Do not use this software on unstable multi-touch systems.

Finally, use this software at own risk 🙂 .

Install instructions are in: readme.txt !

Downloads:
tDesk v2 (4074) - 13.32 kB
Touchlib (speedfix) (4810) - 785.69 kB – rev393

Any tips or problems can be posted in the comment section.

* update *
In some cases tDesk does not seem to work properly with touchlib. Try downloading rev393 and overwrite your current touchlib dll files.

18 Comment

Taha

Dude i have to say thats awesome… Great Work!
    keep up the good work.

Taha

05 May 2008 | Reply

1. mekadanorga

i never say tx for testing all your applications,
    so tx laurence 🙂

yogi(indonesia)

07 May 2008 | Reply

2. chachinoi

probleme tDesk se lance mais disparait aussitot.

15 May 2008 | Reply

3. xtreme571

heyy dude…this is awesomeeeee…i tried this tdesk app, but I’m gettin an error
    “tDesk v0.2 Listener: tDesk_v2.exe – Application Error”
    “The instruction at “0x00000000” referenced memory at “0x00000000”. The memory could not be “read”.
    Ok to terminate cancel to debug

hitting either OK or cancel just exits the app. I’ve got everything else working fine.

smoke demo works, mouse driver works, all flash demos work…any clue on this…thanks

19 May 2008 | Reply

4. Sergio

Amazing job, Laurence! This is really cool.

I was having the same problem as “xtreme”, the other examples run well, but tDesk threw an exception. I think this was because I put tDesk.exe with an older version of Touchlib. I fixed it by replacing the files on the folder by those on touchlib-rev393-speedfix provided here.

26 May 2008 | Reply

5. @Sergio:
    I could not figure out what was causing this problem. First I assumed that it would be missing the vs2k5 dll’s, but that wouldn’t really make sense with this error message.

I’m glad you found a solution.

Thanks 🙂

26 May 2008 | Reply

6. Gnafu

Downloading both package in the post, tdesk_v2 can’t find cxcore100.dll.
    So, I download OpenCV and install it.. same problem, tdesk whats the dll in HIS directory (no matter if the dll dir is in the PATH).
    With some dll copied in the right place:
    “Unable to find entry point ?GetCameraUniqueID@C1394Camera@@QAEXPAT_LARGE_INTEGER@@@Z [cut] in the 1394camera.dll”

What’s wrong?
    Thanks in advance!!

29 May 2008 | Reply

7. Gnafu

Solved using latest touchlib distro.

29 May 2008 | Reply

8. Matt

I was wanting to know if you plan on releasing the source code for your project. Looks great, good job!!

23 Oct 2008 | Reply

9. brian

can you give me some advices for about using multi-touch gestures? Because i don’t know how to start the first step to accomplish the move and resize multiple windows at the same time

14 May 2009 | Reply

10. vishesh

is it possible to run this with ccv instead?
    im havin a lot of problems configuring touchlib,but i have a proper configured table with ccv….
    please help me out here,wanna run this app

25 Oct 2009 | Reply

11. heyy dude…this is awesomeeeee…i tried this tdesk app, but I’m gettin an error
    “tDesk v0.2 Listener: tDesk_v2.exe – Application Error”
    “The instruction at “0×00000000″ referenced memory at “0×00000000″. The memory could not be “read”.
    Ok to terminate cancel to debug

16 Sep 2010 | Reply

12. mihir

great work dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! iwas searching for this work and you did it.

25 Feb 2011 | Reply

13. haleema

Its really awesome i must say.Is this applicable with windows 7?
    i’m trying on windows 7 and is giving errors of some missing dll’s?? plz can anybody tell me why this is so?

21 Mar 2011 | Reply

• I haven’t tried this on Windows 7 but the hack pretty much relies on XP or Vista…

23 Mar 2011 | Reply

14. Holyman

I got to say,That is amazing!Nice work man!I wonder will you develop a pure system basic on Linux?That may be easier to develop…Thanks !

22 Apr 2011 | Reply

15. stelios

i putted the missing files the program needed,it start in multitouch mode,but not working…

23 Aug 2011 | Reply