Touchlib compiling instructions (Ubuntu)

Hardware:
A linux compatible webcam (USB or a Firewire)

Software:
Ubuntu 7.04

Installation instructions:

1. I’m asuming you have a clean installation of Ubuntu 7.04
  2. First install the dependencies:
    # sudo apt-get install cmake libcv1 libcvaux1 libcv-dev libcvaux-dev libglut libglut-dev fftw-dev g++ libxmu-dev libglut3-dev subversion
  3. Now to install osc, checkout the latest version on the SVN:
    # svn co https://www.smartelectronix.com:9000/repos/osc/oscpack/trunk/ [yourdirname]
    (or you could get the source oscpack_1_0_2.zip)
    # make
    # sudo make install

If osc fails to compile and you’re using gcc 4.3, check out how to fix osc in my Fedora Core 9 instructions.

4. Now compile touchlib:
    # mkdir touchlib
    # cd touchlib
    # svn checkout http://touchlib.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ .
    # cmake . (or “ccmake .” if you want a GUI)
    # make
  5. Touchlib should now be ready to use.

More information:
Ubuntu topic on NUIgroup

Known bugs:
Due a problem with the OpenCV library in Linux, Touchlib might crash after a few minutes.

A fix for rev.393 is available here.
A mirror to the file: Touchlib race condition fix rev.393

(old)
A fix for rev.90 is available in here.
A mirror to the file: Touchlib race condition fix rev.90

9 Comment

Mathias

I have compiled it but how do I start it? There are no executable files. Thanks in advance.

17 Jun 2008 | Reply

1. Mathias

Sorry for earlier comment. Now I know you just compile touchlib.

17 Jun 2008 | Reply

2. santo de casa

I’d already compiled the touchlib and it works, but my table with IR LED is not working as well I wish, then I made one miniMT( http://ssandler.wordpress.com/MTmini/ ), and liked the result I got, but I don’t know how to make the touchlib work with the negative capture, like it does on the package for windows that they have at the site. Some ideas about it???

thanks

santo

17 Jun 2008 | Reply

3. RG

Hello. i compiled it successfully and i built my pad.
    What must i do agter “make” to start to use it???

21 Jun 2008 | Reply

4. On the linux version, binaries are placed in different dirs.

The demo applications are placed in /demos

OSC -> /demos/osc
    pong -> /demos/pong
    smoke -> /demos/smoke
    touch example -> demos/touch

The config application is placed in /src

03 Jul 2008 | Reply

5. freeside

and how can i set the cam resolution ???
    the settings will always start with the max res of 640×480 but i will use 320×260 ..

thanx

25 Nov 2008 | Reply

6. Hi freeside,

you could try to download camstream for ubuntu (either use the repos. or download it from http://www.smcc.demon.nl/camstream/ ).

Set your camera properties in camstream (exit and save), and start any touchlib application.

28 Nov 2008 | Reply

7. The package names are slightly different on Fedora, but everything worked out well in my case. I had never used cmake before, but that sure saved me a big headache :)

17 May 2009 | Reply

8. Hey Micheal,

you’re right about the package name differences. I also have a tutorial for Fedora: http://www.multigesture.net/articles/touchlib-compiling-instructions-fedora-core-9/

But I guess you already figured it out :).

04 Jun 2009 | Reply